Five Things To Do Before A Hospital Stay
Want to Raise Your Children through Positive Parenting Methods?
Our Family Rules Chart will help you create a positive and peaceful home where children and adults treat each other with respect. Simply opt-in below to have it sent straight to your email inbox.
The only time, if ever, a mom is forced to stay away from her kids and home, I believe, is when she goes to the hospital. The stay could be during a child birth and delivery, for an illness or when someone else has to be admitted and you have to stay in with them. Just as we prepare our bags for our stay, it is important for us to prepare our ‘life’ for our absence too.
I have been in an out of a hospital for four deliveries and then there was a time I had to stay with my son who was hospitalised for bonchitis. Of course, there was last year too but it was unplanned. This time as I prepare for my 3-5days of hospital stay, I am ticking this off my checklist.
5 things that can help make a hospital stay and recovery back home easier:
- Pack your bag. Tooth brush, toiletries, socks, a sweater, some entertainment, a camera, your tablet, chargers, two scrunchies and a hair brush is what I take. If it is for child birth, add your newborn’s bringing home outfit, shawl and a breastpump to the list.
- Make and freeze some meals. Stock up on your groceries and pantry too. Even if you have help after you return, it will be easy for whoever is helping you with kids and home.
- Arrange the books, clothes and toys yourself and let everyone know. Especially if you have kids around. Whoever is incharge will love to work with you again. Make a list or write down the directions if necessary.
- Write down the routine of each child together with a meal plan for a week. The one reason why kids act up is because they haven’t slept ontime or eaten. Kids thrive on routines and knowing that the exact samething that they are used to will be happening in your absense will keep them calm and the caretakers sane.
- Stick memo notes everywhere. The only person who knows where anything is, is mom. When mom’s away, chaos will rule. The only way to minimise that, is by sticking stick up notes and memos all around the house. The cupboards, fridge, kitchen cabinets, everybody’s door or side table and the most important one, on the main door of your house.
What do you include in your plan when you have to stay away from your home and kids?
That cracks me up! But it is one of those things that you really don't know what to say! Great post!