Super Simple Crochet Bag + Pattern
There is something about learning to crochet the first time. I just couldn’t stop even though all that I knew was three stitches: how to chain, how to single crochet and how to double crochet. That pic above is my first real project. My passport bag.
I was travelling those days and since I didn’t have kids then, everywhere I went, I made sure I had some entertainment for myself. I had taken just two balls of pink crochet cotton with me. The white, in the flowers, is Anchor size 20 that I bought when I went shopping for yarn. There wasn’t much choice then.
Want to Raise Your Children through Positive Parenting Methods?
Our Family Rules Chart will help you create a positive and peaceful home where children and adults treat each other with respect. Simply opt-in below to have it sent straight to your email inbox.
Yes, it is pink. ‘Pink is an attitude’ and I had loads then. This bag is perfect for little girls. My toddler carries it around these days, filling it with everything and nothing. The pattern is quite simple and you can very easily teach it to teens for those summer break crafts. You can see this post if you are very new and cannot crochet. It is perfect to gift too. You can play around with it, varying it in size and shape too. You can experiment with the flowers too.
Here is the pattern:
Flower Crochet Bag
Please note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. That means if you buy through my links, I make a small commission with no extra charge to you. Please read my disclosure here.
What you need:
- Cotton crochet yarn: 100gms approx. (This one is good)
- Crochet hook: 3 – 3.14mm (I have this set that I absolutely love!)
- Make a chain of 120 stitches depending on what size you want your bag to be. (This is a one piece bag. You will be making one long and wide mat that you will fold in thirds to make a bag. The edges will then be sewn in.)
- Chain 3 for the turning and double crochet (dc) on 4th chain from the hook. Continue making dc in each chain till the end.
- Chain 3 for first dc, continue making a dc in each dc of the previous row.
Continue making rows upon rows of dc till you have the require width for your bag. Lay the mat wrong side facing up. Fold it up, one third of the length. It will look like a pouch now. Single crochet on the sides holding the two sides together. When you finish one side. Cut the thread. Attach the yarn on the other end and single crochet the edges together again. You have created the bag. Now for the belt.
- Chain 3dc in 4th chain from hook. Chain 3, dc into the base od dc earlier made… you will be making a chain of rings.
- Chain 3, dc 5times in to last ring created, continue making 5dc in each ring.
Join the belt to one side of bag under flap. Join the other end. You can sew it in too.
There are quite a few ways to decorate that bag… buttons, flowers, lace, whatever you’ve got. Double crochet into a ring to make little discs too. Have fun!